New Mexico-licensed Speech-Language Pathologists (SLPs) are required to renew their licenses annually on January 30th. 20 hours of continuing education are required every 2 years and must be in the field of licensure. All 20 hours may be earned from online or home study courses that are offered by an ASHA-approved provider.
Professional Development Resources is approved by the Continuing Education Board of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) to provide continuing education activities in speech-language pathology and audiology. Over 25 online and home study courses are available for New Mexico SLPs @ http://www.pdresources.org/Courses/Speech-and-Hearing/AllCourses/CourseID/1/
Continuing Education Requirements
Continuing education is one of the most important responsibilities of the speech-language pathologist. It is also a life-long process. A diversity of information related to speech-language pathology regarding changing requirements, laws, and trends in the field is recommended to enhance the professional skills and development the speech-language pathologist. The responsibility of continuing education rests solely with the speech-language pathologist.
- The board will require twenty (20) hours of continuing education every two years. These may be distributed over the two year period, or they may all be obtained in one year. These continuing education hours must be in the field of his or her licensure, or in a related field if justified to the board office. The board office will consult with the board and/or with the New Mexico speech-language and hearing association (or similar statewide professional association) to resolve questions as to appropriate continuing education hours. Renewal of a license shall be contingent upon the fulfillment of the continuing education standards and the supplying of evidence thereof by the licensee. The board shall be the final authority on acceptance of any educational activity submitted by a licensee to meet the continuing education requirement.
- The board or board office will approve professional education activities sponsored or approved by a national or state professional association of speech-language pathologists, audiologists and hearing aid dispensers.
Continuing Education Audit
The board shall audit a percentage of renewal applications each year to verify the continuing education requirement. The licensee should maintain a file that includes the continuing education course documentation up to two (2) years.
- If a NOTICE OF AUDIT letter is received with the annual renewal form, evidence of continuing education hours earned during the last two years must be submitted to the board as requested by this rule.
- If the licensee is NOT AUDITED, the licensee will have to sign an affidavit attesting to the completion of the required hours of continuing education and all documentation of attendance and agendas should be retained by the licensee for a minimum of two (2) years immediately preceding the current renewal.
- The board reserves the right to audit continuing education attendance certificates whenever there is reasonable doubt the courses submitted, dates, or hours may be incorrect.
The New Mexico Speech-Language Pathology, Audiology and Hearing Aid Dispensing Practices Board: http://www.rld.state.nm.us/Speech/index.html