It is said that intention is the crux of all actions – that our intentions shape our thoughts, words, and deeds. If the intentions are wholesome, the results will be fruitful and skillful. Conversely, if the intentions are unwholesome, the results will be unfruitful and unskillful. In this way, our minds, through our intentions and thoughts, are the creators of our own happiness and unhappiness.
Read over the following progression a couple of times and take a moment to reflect on it:
- Intention shapes our thoughts and words.
- Thoughts and words mold our actions.
- Thoughts, words, and actions shapes our behaviors.
- Behaviors sculpt our bodily expressions.
- Bodily expressions fashion our character.
- Our character hardens into what we look like.