The Board of Occupational Therapy regulates occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants in DC. Licenses expire on September 30th of odd years.
Occupational therapists shall complete a minimum of twenty-four (24) contact hours and occupational therapy assistants shall complete a minimum of twelve (12) contact hours of continuing education (CE) during each license renewal cycle.
The Board shall approve continuing competence programs and activities that are relevant to the practice or education of occupational therapists and occupational therapy assistants that document the following:
- Current subject matter with course description
- Content focus
- Learning outcomes
- Target audience
- Satisfactory completion of the course by the course participant
The Board shall approve the following types of activities provided that they are consistent with provisions of the regulations:
- Activities sponsored by the state or local occupational therapy organizations
- Activities sponsored by the American Occupational Therapy Association (AOTA), the American Physical Therapy Association (APTA), the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Activities sponsored by AOTA approved providers
- Activities sponsored by an accredited healthcare facility
- Activities sponsored by an accredited college or university
Professional Development Resources is an AOTA approved provider of continuing education (#3159). The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific course content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.