The Office of Minority Health has dedicated the month of April to raising awareness of the need to improve the health of racial and ethnic minority populations across America and to develop health policies and programs that will help eliminate health disparities.
In support of National Minority Health Month, the Journal of the American Dietetic Association has made the following 10 articles from the April 2011 issue and Cultural Competency Collection openly available at www.adajournal.org:
- A Dietary Behaviors Measure For Use With Low-Income, Spanish-Speaking Caribbean Latinos: The Latino Dietary Behaviors Questionnaire (LDBQ) by Senaida Fernandez, PhD; Barbara Olendzki, RD, MPH; Milagros C. Rosal, PhD (April 2011) Full Text
- Associations between Neighborhood Availability and Individual Consumption of Dark-Green and Orange Vegetables among Ethnically Diverse Adults in Detroit by Betty T. Izumi, Shannon N. Zenk, Amy J. Schulz, Graciela B. Mentz, Christine Wilson, et al. (February 2011) Full Text
- Impact of a Nutrition Education Program to Increase Intake of Calcium-Rich Foods by Chinese-American Women by Nan Lv, J. Lynne Brown (January 2011) Full Text
- English as a Second Language Dietetics Students: Lessons from Nursing to Facilitate Learning Experiences in Dietetic Internships by Jennifer Doley (December 2010) Full Text
- Preventing Gestational Diabetes Mellitus among Migrant Women and Reducing Obesity and Type 2 Diabetes in Their Offspring: A Call for Culturally Competent Lifestyle Interventions in Pregnancy Andre M.N. Renzaho, Helen Skouteris, John Oldroyd (December 2010) Full Text
- A Quantitative and Qualitative Approach to Understanding Fruit and Vegetable Availability in Low-Income African-American Families with Children Enrolled in an Urban Head Start Program by Deana A. Hildebrand, Lenka H. Shriver (May 2010) Full Text
- Availability of Commonly Consumed and Culturally Specific Fruits and Vegetables in African-American and Latino Neighborhoods by Diana S. Grigsby-Toussaint, Shannon N. Zenk, Angela Odoms-Young, Laurie Ruggiero, Imelda Moise, et al. (May 2010) Full Text
- Limited English Proficiency Is a Barrier to Receipt of Advice about Physical Activity and Diet among Hispanics with Chronic Diseases in the United States by Catalina Lopez-Quintero, Elliot M. Berry, Yehuda Neumark (October 2009) Full Text
- The Medicine Wheel Nutrition Intervention: A Diabetes Education Study with the Cheyenne River Sioux Tribe by Kendra K. Kattelmann, Kibbe Conti, Cuirong Ren (September 2009) Full Text
- Dietary Quality among Latinos: Is Acculturation Making Us Sick? by Rafael Pérez-Escamilla (June 2009) Full Text
We hope you will enjoy reading these articles at your convenience. Please feel free to share them with your colleagues and patients to be increasingly proactive about their dietary health.
Compliments of the Journal of the American Dietetic Association.