National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign sponsored annually by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign is designed to focus attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits. NNM also promotes the Academy and its members to the public and the media as the most valuable and credible source of timely, scientifically based food and nutrition information.
Celebrate the sixth annual Registered Dietitian Day on Wednesday, March 13, 2013 with recognition of the professional expertise and accomplishments of Registered Dietitians.
Registered Dietitian Day was created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics (formerly the American Dietetic Association) to increase the awareness of registered dietitians as the indispensable providers of food and nutrition services and to recognize RDs for their commitment to helping people enjoy healthy lives. Registered Dietitian Day and National Nutrition Month® promote the Academy and RDs to the public and the media as the most valuable and credible source of timely, scientifically-based food and nutrition information.
The following key messages are the foundation for the communications regarding Registered Dietitian Day that have been developed for various audiences including health professionals, employers of RDs, media and the public.
- Registered Dietitians are the food and nutrition experts who can translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living.
- Registered Dietitians have degrees in nutrition, dietetics, public health or a related field from well-respected, accredited colleges and universities, completed an internship and passed an examination.
- Registered Dietitians use their nutrition expertise to help individuals make unique, positive lifestyle changes.
- Registered Dietitians work throughout the community in hospitals, schools, public health clinics, nursing homes, fitness centers, food management, food industry, universities, research and private practice.
- Registered Dietitians are advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world.
Registered Dietitian (“RD”) is a legally protected title that can only be used by practitioners who are authorized by the Commission on Dietetic Registration of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. As part of their credentialing, registered dietitians are required to complete a designated number of accredited continuing education units. Professional Development Resources is recognized as a CPE-Accredited Provider of continuing education for dietitians by the Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR). Over 50 online courses are available @ https://www.pdresources.org/profession/index/7.